Electrical Safety: Important Swimming Consideration
Updated: Jan 11
Electric cooperatives remind Hoosiers of electrical water hazards
During the summer, many Hoosiers will be enjoying their pools and surrounding lakes around the state. Indiana Electric Cooperatives reminds pool owners and lake-goers of electrical dangers around water, noting that water and electricity do not mix.
When using the pool this summer, avoid electric shock by using battery-operated appliances or waterproof covers for items near the pool when possible.
If someone in the pool feels electricity -- almost like a stinging feeling – or appears to have been shocked, do not dive in. You could be shocked, too. Instead, turn off the power and use a non-metal shepherd’s hook to pull him or her out of the water to safety. Electrical shock can cause paralysis and the victim will need assistance immediately
When using long-handled pool cleaning equipment, always look up and around to make sure there are no low-hanging power lines connected to a home or pool house nearby.
The same safety concerns are in play around lakes and rivers, too, along with a few more.
Avoid running electric appliances with extension cords out to where you are sunbathing/swimming. They present both a shock and trip hazard.
Avoid swimming or going in the water near boats plugged into shore power or docks with electrical services. If you are in the water and feel electricity, stay calm and swim to shore if you can but do not touch a metal ladder or any other metal objects.
Staying safe while near the water is simple but these tips can be easily forgotten. Create a checklist for your family and friends to review before the start of warmer weather.